Before starting your immigration process, you probably have a lot of questions that you’d like answered. This is totally reasonable. Immigration can be complicated and you might be wondering what the best way to approach your specific situation is.
While you can find good general information online, that information isn’t tailored to you. So, a free immigration consultation is the logical next step for understanding what you should do. How can you find Minneapolis immigration attorneys that offer free consultations? How can you get the most out of that consultation? Let’s find out.
Finding Immigration Attorneys That Offer Free Consultations
Not every attorney offers a free initial consultation. Since it’s not something that’s required, each law firm can do what makes sense for their business. This means that you need to do the work of finding immigration attorneys that can provide you with a free consultation. How can you do it?
- Talk to friends and family: People you already know may have dealt with the immigration process before. Ask them which attorney they used, how satisfied they were with the process, and if they would recommend them. Add these attorneys to your shortlist.
- Do a Google search: Check online to see which immigration attorneys are in your area. As you look at their website, see if they clearly say that they specialize in immigration cases and if they offer free consultations. Add the best options to your shortlist.
- Call the law firms: Remember that an attorney’s website might have outdated information. The best way to be sure that they offer free consultations is to call and ask. Find out what the consultation includes and get confirmation that you won’t be charged anything.
After following these steps, try to narrow your list down to 2 or 3 law firms. Set up your free consultation with them and go to each consultation before you decide which law firm to choose.
Before you go to your consultations you should prepare yourself. What do you need to get ready to ensure you get the most from your free consultation?
Getting the Most Out of Your Immigration Consultation
You don’t want to waste a free consultation because you weren’t prepared. Instead you want to give the attorney a clear picture of your current situation and what you want to achieve. This will help them tell you what they can do for you, how long it might take, and how much it might cost.
There are basically two things that you need to prepare before your free consultation:
- Any documents or letters you already have: It’s important that your attorney understands your current immigration status. Bring in any immigration documents, completed forms, letter/notices, or court documents that you have. Letting the attorney review this information will help them see things that you might not see or be able to communicate.
- A list of questions to ask: Preparing a list of questions will help you to stay on track when speaking to the attorney. Remember that the consultation is your time to ask questions and have the attorney convince you that they can successfully handle your case. Questions might include: What percentage of your cases are related to immigration? Will you handle my case personally? What will you do to help me? Why are you a better choice than the other attorney I’m speaking with?
After your consultations, compare the answers that each attorney gave. Which attorney had the best answers? Which attorney did you feel the most comfortable with? Don’t agree to anything during the initial consultation. Instead give yourself time to think calmly before making your choice.
Set Up Your Free Immigration Consultation
Our team of Minneapolis immigration attorneys would be happy to help you understand your options. Use the form below to schedule your free consultation and make sure to get your list of questions ready. We look forward to speaking with you.